Friday, February 19, 2010

Female Selection

My personal experience says: at the first sign of someone disappointing you greatly, emotionally, cut your losses and get out. There are, quite literally, other fish in the sea…or fish to fry…or whatever you want to do with them, frankly. Don’t let a man fool you into thinking it’s his choice, either. Biology tells us that female selection is what’s really going on.

Use your selectivity. Easier said than done, I know, but you don't want to be in the same spot with someone a month from now, and that's usually what happens. Those moments when we say, "I should just dump him now and save myself the misery. I should do this with grace," are good moments; we should embrace them and accept them as truth. Normally, however, we glorify the issues and hope for reconciliation with big, meaningful, alligator tears. In part, the nature of attraction leads us to forgive and forgive, if for no other reason than, “omg, he’s just so, so adorable.”

We consistently find novelties in men’s actions that are undeserving. The truth is, we deserve these novel characteristics, but we deserve more than a few a year.

That time he saw you cry in a movie and petted your hand. That time he called you pretty when you were brushing your teeth. That one and only time he put the seat down. He winks, but not in the annoying way a Backstreet Boy would. He throws his head back when he laughs. He said he loves the corners your lips. You seem to fit perfectly into his shoulder in bed – at the right height that your toes can still touch his heels or you can rest the top of your big toe under the arch of his manly foot.

Snap out of it.

Remove eggs from basket.

Run; run like a mother f***er.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like what my ex did. She kicked me to the curb, but didn't bring up any of the issues to work them out along the way or tell me about her concerns. Plenty of other fish in the sea, so she snapped out of it and ran like a mother f***er.

    Granted, the male in this scenario doesn't reflect who I was, and giving a woman a random compliment or two per year is definitely grounds to dismiss a guy. I made complimentary gestures so often that they began to lose any meaning to her. The grass is always greener on the other side. My question is how is that working out for her?

    That is not to say that your position wasn't valid here. I just think there's always more to the story and not every woman needs to just scatch her guy out of her life and move forward. There are people in marriages that do that, rather than honor their covenant and choose to build a better life together. It is so easy to run sometimes, and so much harder to stay and work.

    Sometimes leaving is the only option, especially to take inventory of the situation for a long period of time while detaching emotionally from the situation. Coming back to it with a clear perspective will help you determine if it was ever worth saving in the first place.

    I know you know all of this, but I wanted to point out that cutting tail and moving to the next person isn't always the best option, but perhaps much of the time it is.

    Women need to ask themselves who they are when they are with their partner. Does he bring out the best in them? Does he even have the intellect and attitude to reason through situations that concern you? Does he make you a better person? Those are definitely important factors.

    I am proud of the women who move on with thier lives, rather than thinking that their "prince not-so-charming" is the end-all. Some women can't even picture their lives without the men they are with, so they stay due to lack of realized options. That is not a valid reason to stay in a relationship.

    Keep that stupid Hollywood phrase in mind when you size up your relationship. "You complete me". Does he? How so? Be realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone should be complete before they are with someone. Not seek a sense completion in another person.

    The sort of relationships I am talking about are the ones that are new or just aren't working. I think for the most part, these people that need to make a break are the ones that are getting married, then divorcing shortly after. They could have just done it when their partner started ruining their lives.

    I don't think men are monsters, but I see my girlfriends put up with more than I would like them to, and more than they realize, too. It doesn't mean men don't deserve reasons/respect/etc...it just means, if it's no good, get out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, this blog is more geared towards girls, which is why I only gave like 3 guys the address :) Only the guys I thought could handle it.

    ReplyDelete